Monday, 14 May 2012

Author Spotlight - J Lilley day one

Today my blog is spotlighting an author I think you will all enjoy but is a little different from the usual recommendations I make.

JLilley is a up and coming writer, but not erotic, or erotica or anything like that. No, JLilley is a YA writer, that is Young Adult for those of you who don't know.

I could explain more...... but why should I do all the work when I have her here...so can do it herself!

Oi! J! Fix up girl and tell them about yourself!



You know when someone says, "tell me about yourself?" and you go blank. All you can think is you like coordinating underwear and very rarely manage it. You know its rude to swear, but still do, and you realise that its so much fun to let your characters chew gum and break the no phone at school rule? 
Yeah, that's where I got to when Cherie said, "We'll want to know a bit about you."
I'm like "er I bet you don't really. It's boring."
So she yawned and said, "Well bore me."
So grr let the boring begin…

I've always written, or told stories. (No, not porkies; imaginary tales, I used to tell them to my dolls.) Even when it got me into trouble at school, and it often did.

But it's one thing to like scribbling stories and another to really sit down and do something about your ideas.

Like all things strange, Shalea came out of a casual conversation with a friend. She was looking for a shifter book for her 14 year olds birthday, and couldn't fine one.

So me, Who hadn't written or told a teen story since my daughter was 14, broke her arm and I wrote one for her and her mates, ( Yes you lot, I promise  I will finish it one day) got stuck in.

I knew nothing about shifters, just asked Rach's favorite animal (leopard) and knew what my series was all about. And where it was set.

A week later I'd a short story The Shalean Moon written, and Rach loved it.

So I was mentioning it to a publisher who asked to read it. Said he was thinking of setting up a YA publishing house. He loved the book, but wanted it a lot longer, and wanted a series. OH and the first book was to be ready by the end of the month!

So here we are. Six books in The Shalean Moon Series, the first three, Discovered, Renounced and Accepted from www.lycaonpress.com are out in one book in print on June 1st.

The Ebooks are out one a month from the 1st June.



Here's the blurb for Discovered


When Rach moved to Scotland she knew there would be changes. She hadn't expected them to be quite so dramatic. Not only was there a new house, new school and new friends, there was also a secret to discover.

Brios Parde was a Patriarch in waiting. When the powerful leopard shifter senses a new Shalean he is amazed to discover it's the new girl. All his senses tell him Rach will be important to him.

However the Rogues try to destroy the budding relationship. Will Rach decide to side with Brios or help stage an uprising?


And a wee taster…

"A seventeen-year old sniffing around a fifteen-year old is decidedly dodgy. You’re to have nothing to do with him. Do you understand?" He was shaking.
Rach just stared at him; she knew her mouth must be open. Did men go through the change? Was that what was wrong? After all forty was supposed to be a dangerous age and her dad was forty-two…
"But, Da-ad."
Gah, now I'm whining, I hate that.
"But Dad nothing, you will not see that boy! I’d prefer you to have nothing to do with his sister either, but I suppose that's not possible.”
 She was indignant. "No, it isn’t. We’re in the same class, and I like her. I like Brios as well. For God’s sake, Dad; he’s just a boy at school."
"No, he isn’t. He’s a man dressed as a boy—or something. Seventeen-year old boys are men with hormones in overdrive. Hell, I might be getting on, but I can remem…" his voice trailed off, and he shook his head.
Hmm, too much information; yup Dad, don't go there.
"I mean this Rach. Do you understand me? You won’t speak to him. I want your word on that. Oh, and don’t blaspheme."
He was glaring at her; so unusual from his normally supportive dad role.
What on earth made him go off like that? Anyway, he swore as well! Though maybe now isn't the time to point that out to him.
"Waiting."
"Okay, okay. I’ll ignore him." She crossed her fingers.
A bit, she added silently, and then jumped. She could have sworn she heard Brios’ voice saying, 'Thank you.'
Nah, must have been Dad.
"I won’t speak to him Dad, even though that will make me seem really rude and stuck-up. I’m new here don’t forget, and a lot of the girls in my class think he's really cool. They were dead envious when he shook my hand, and introduced himself."
Oh heck, now I've done it. Here's dad not happy about him at all for some reason, and I'm busy telling him he made a point of coming over to introduce himself.  I must start thinking before I open my big mouth and put my feet in it.
Her dad’s face looked like thunder. "I was sitting with his sister at the time," she said hastily, "he’d come to speak to her."
'No, I hadn’t. I was there to meet you.'
Rach jiggled her ear. What on earth is up? Is Dad picking mushrooms again?
"That’s as maybe, Love, but he’s a man and you’re a young girl. He doesn’t need you as a friend; he’s got friends his own age—so no contact."
She nodded and tried not to think about Brios. For the first time ever she was interested in a boy—really interested in a boy-girl way, not in a football or rugby teammate sort of way—and her dad was being all caveman about it. There must be some reason other than the age difference, but she had no idea what it was. Did he not want her to get into boys?  She was fifteen for goodness sake; loads of her friends at her last school had boyfriends. Even Stacy had gone out with a boy a few times, but according to her, stopped after he'd tried it!
Definitely not something she should tell her dad. She wondered how she would feel if Brios tried it. Rach thought about it; and then decided she'd better think about it a lot more later when she could concentrate. This growing up business was getting complicated. The feelings she'd experienced when Brios took her hand had been entirely new. Like nothing she'd ever felt before.
They sat in silence. Her dad looked like he was deep in thought; and she didn’t know what to say. There was no way she was not going to speak to Brios; even if it meant defying her dad for the first time ever. Well, not really the first time she thought guiltily, remembering when she'd had her ears pierced and snuck make-up to school; or the time she'd had a back-ey on the mudguard of a friend's bike. However, for the first time she knew she was deliberately going to defy him—big time.
"Do you remember much about mum’s family?" her dad asked.
Weird, that's twice today mum’s family has been mentioned.
Rach shook her head. "Not a lot. Why?"
"I just wondered that’s all."
"Dad." She put her hands on her hips and glared at him. "You never just wonder; everything you do or say has a reason. You’ve been acting strange since you picked me up at school. Are you worried about your new job, or trying to find a way to hide radishes in my salad?" They both knew she hated the taste of radishes with a passion.
Rach watched his face crinkle up as he laughed. "No Love, neither of those I promise. I just realized you’re growing up that's all."
"Er, Dad? You’re not going to give me the talk are you?" She mimed quote marks. "'Cos I’ve had it at school, and I am so not interested in anything like that." She had another thought, "You don’t think I fancy Brios like that do you? Oh, Dad!"
She gave her dad a hug, hoping the fact that she really did fancy Brios didn't show in her face.
'Thank you.'
The voice in her head sounded just like Brios's sexy Scottish burr. . .
She tried to concentrate on her dad, and not freak out about the fact that she was hearing voices in her head.
"Dad, he was just nice to me—friendly. Yeah he’s way cool; and he’s got a great bod—well, what I could see of it; and all the girls fancy him; but as for me … I need friends here, and both he and Leira could be that." She listened to see if there were any smart comments in her mind this time; there weren't.
Is it the water; or the fact the fairies are supposed to live up a nearby hill? I'd better check what I drink from now on.






***

So as you can see this looks like it is going to be a great series and I personally think one that not only teens will enjoy but adults too..... 

Come back tomorrow, perhaps I can persuade J to give us another little sneak peek from one of the other books.....

Well we can live in hope!!

I won't be doing the usual sign off today.....little eyes may learn more then their parents are ready for if I do that!!

See ya tomorrow! and remember...homework is good for you! Honest it is! All the cool kids are doing it! 



4 comments:

  1. I love that book cover. It's great to meet you, J Lilley. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to get my mitts on them, just in time for my daughter's birthday too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading this book. Love the cover x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you all for those lovely comments. And a big thank you to Cherie for hosting me.
    I'm really excited about this series, and without a very special girl having her 14th birthday, none of it would have happened. So its a great big thanks to Rach. I do hope she likes the series, and you all do as well.

    ReplyDelete