Monday, 25 June 2012

Author Spotlight: Suzanne Fuller

Today I have..er..persuaded Suzanne Fuller to come chat to us for a bit. She is quite tiny and didn't put up much of a fight it has to be said! :D

Suz is a YA Author with new release out right now!

Suz...introduce yourself doll!



Hello, all! I'm here for 3 days, so here's hoping that Cherie doesn't kidnap me for longer. She has that look in her eye…stop it Ms. Nicholls!


Anyway, today I'll talk about some of the processes of writing. There are many, as any aspiring or published author will tell you, but I've been asked to chat about settings. Where the ideas come from and how you put them onto paper/word processor. This is one of the many rules that does not have a 'right' or 'wrong' way of doing it. It's a matter of what works best for you.


Setting the scene is one of those things that I've found scares a lot of aspiring writers. You want to describe the backdrop for your characters without boring your readers with too much detail, or confusing them by not giving enough. The trick to setting the scene, in my own personal way, is to not think about these two things right off the bat. If you do, your mind will be consumed with worry over what your readers will think or say.  Leave that for the read-through and editing stage. First you need something to work with. You can always cut unnecessary sentences afterwards.


Every story I've written there's been a different approach to how I set the scene. In the case of "The Lycans" I dreamt a part of the story. I saw the sweeping blues and greens of the aurora borealis above, the thick lines of tall trees in the distance, with characters stuck in a winter wasteland. It was a vivid scene, one I couldn't forget, and the moment I woke up I knew that they were in Sweden. And so I created the scene I saw, and also researched Kiruna, the most northern city over the arctic line. So, in this case, it was almost easy. My brain had already set it up for me, I just had to follow it, and my character's demands (which, if you're a fellow writer, you'll understand this feeling. You may create those characters, but once they're there they take over.)


Now, not all stories create themselves within a dream like that, for me. The Lycans was a stroke of luck. When a story creates within my head, I close my eyes, tune everything out and let the scene create inside my head. Now, I'm a touch-typist so I can type while my eyes are closed. I almost recommend you learn the positions of your keyboard, not just for quickness, but for times such as this. Doing this allows me to create the world as I see it behind my eyes. I describe using emotions, the senses. This also comes in part with the age-old rule "Show, don't tell".


Sometimes creating the scene and story is easiest and works best when you let yourself have those precious moments to yourself. Whether it be while dinner is cooking, while you're in the bath or even the short time you spend on the toilet. I also find that the right type of music will put you in the correct mood and help those images spill from your mind to your fingers.


I wont waffle on anymore, before y'all fall asleep. :D But please check back again soon as I'll be talking about character development, and finally Riley will pop by and let you into her suddenly hectic life. Thanks for reading!

******

See she is not just a pocket sized dynamo!

North: The Lycans is out now....
 

For more information in Suzanne Fuller find her here





Come back tomorrow......I think I can persuade Suz to say around for a little bit longer *evil grin*

until next time remember: shoving everthing under your bed is NOT considered "tidying your room".....just saying

1 comment:

  1. Great post, and I'm so with you on the characters taking over :-)

    ReplyDelete